CORONAVIRUS: Here's the latest
A regularly updated feed of the latest information about coronavirus in Hungary.Read more
Out of the 13 questions in the national consultation questionnaire sent to Hungarian households, seven concern the coronavirus epidemic, possible measures to tackle a potential second wave of the virus, and new steps to help maintain epidemiological preparedness should a next crisis occur.
Beginning on Monday, questionnaires for Hungary’s national consultation are going out to every household in the country, some 7.8 million. This is the eighth national consultation since the first one nearly ten years ago, in September 2010. What began as a letter to pensioners asking for their opinions has become one of the Hungarian government’s effective methods for consulting the public before making important policy decisions.
Europe’s demographic decline comes as no surprise to anyone even superficially acquainted with current birthrates around the continent. Although some in western Europe have already decided that immigration offers the only way to make up for the loss, the Orbán Government pursues another solution -- make it easier for the nation’s own citizens to have bigger families – and in this national consultation, we’re asking citizens for their input on how to do that.
Since its inauguration, Hungary’s government has always paid special attention to the protection and support of families raising children. This is why we have introduced family tax benefits and doubled the overall family support compared to its level in 2010. Now we have the opportunity through further provisions to support Hungarian families.
The postal service will start delivering the questionnaires to members of the public in the next few days, Katalin Novák, the Minister of State for Family and Youth Affairs at the Ministry of Human Capacities said
National consultation has become a powerful tool in recent years to invite citizen participation in major decision-making processes between election cycles. Since 2010, the government has solicited citizen input on a number of high-profile policy choices including the new Fundamental Law, economic issues, social security, conditions affecting pensioners, and immigration. This time it’s about family protection and it gets underway in just a few days.
According to Government Spokesperson Zoltán Kovács, 2,356,811 national consultation questionnaires were returned, 2,178,320 by post and 178,491 online. The number of responses rejecting the “Soros Plan” was above 2.3 million with regard to all seven questions included in the consultation, he added
Bence Tuzson, state secretary for Government Communication, said that “the government will fight the mandatory quota scheme and advocate the position of the Hungarian people both in Hungary and Europe”
Government Spokesperson Zoltán Kovács expressed his thanks on behalf of the government to all who sent in their answers and said the high participation reflected that this was a national issue that would determine the future of Hungary and the European Union in the long-term
The government decided to extend the deadline because the public were still sending in their responses, but most importantly to allow for last week’s vote by the European Parliament to launch the EU's migrant relocation scheme
As I wrote last week, the European Parliament approved a regulation that would introduce a permanent and mandatory migrant quota system without an upper limit on the number of migrants to be admitted. What’s more, it says that the evaluation of asylum claims will no longer be carried out by the country of first entry, and all member states will have to accommodate migrants on an involuntary basis. Countries that don’t cooperate would be politically and financially penalized.
János Lázár, the minister heading the Prime Minister’s Office revealed that 1,295,000 Hungarians had sent back the consultation questionnaires which is a remarkably high number, and clearly demonstrates that the people want to state their views on the matter
On Wednesday, the government published the national consultation on the Soros plan, one of a series of national consultations in which the government turns to the people in the form of public surveys to ask their opinion on subjects important to their daily lives. This seventh national consultation addresses the Soros Plan to resettle one million migrants in Europe per year. The following is an English-language translation of the questionnaire.
On Wednesday, the government published the national consultation on the Soros plan, one of a series of national consultations in which the government turns to the people in the form of public surveys to ask their opinion on subjects important to their daily lives. This seventh national consultation addresses the Soros Plan to resettle one million migrants in Europe per year. The consultation’s fundamental question is: should Hungary become an immigrant country or not?
The survey will be distributed in October and will touch on the relocation of a million migrants as well as proposals on border closures. The survey can be filled out online or on paper and returned by post
PM Orbán insisted that “record high” participation in the government’s latest nationwide public survey means that “a whole nation is looking for ways to support its position of denying entry to people of a different culture or civilization”
Soros’s network and its "agencies" were “a significant and non-transparent component of Hungary’s public life”. Soros and “his supporters in Hungary” were seeking to implement “a program to allow migrants into the country," the prime minister said
The Hungarian government will be able to act successfully against “the pressure imposed by Brussels and the organizations of George Soros” if as many people return their questionnaires as possible by Wednesday, Fidesz party's communications director said
“The goal of the Brussels attacks is for fewer people to sign the National Consultation," Bence Tuzson said, adding that despite this interest is high, the people of Hungary realize that these are important issues and around 900,000 people have already returned their filled out National Consultation questionnaires
During Wednesday's Cabinet meeting it was decided that before finalizing changes to regulations, the government would consult as many people on the subject as possible by using an 'online consultation'