articleimg-1
Feb 04, 2020

100,000 migrants gather south of Hungary's border

Bence Tuzson, the state secretary for public services at the Prime Minister’s Office, said 3,400 illegal entry attempts were made in January.

A government official has revealed that around 100,000 migrants have gathered south of Hungary's border, putting the country at risk.

Bence Tuzson, the state secretary for public services at the Prime Minister’s Office, said 3,400 illegal entry attempts were made in January. He noted an attempt at Röszke early last Tuesday, adding that it had proved that the Hungarian border defense system functioned properly during the incident.

According to MTI, Tuzson said vigilance in protecting the border was essential, adding that patrol forces had been doubled in the area which is also under helicopter surveillance.

Tuzson noted that by protecting its own border, Hungary is also protecting Europe’s border. He added that the EU had contributed only a small part of border protection costs and the Hungarian government will turn to Brussels asking for more funding.