articleimg-1
Jul 04, 2016

ATP Tour announces tennis event in Budapest

For the first time in tennis history, an ATP men's event will be played Hungary

The ATP tennis tour will be coming to Budapest for the next two years, it has been announced.

For the first time in tennis history, an ATP men's event will be played Hungary.

Previously played in Bucharest, the tour has been postponed there during 2017 and 2018 while plans for a new tennis stadium are sought, following fire certificate complications with the currently existing center court.

Ion Tiriac, the tournament organizer, said he wanted to build a new tennis stadium but Romanian politicians did not allow him to do so.

"I did everything possible so that the tournament could survive," said Tiriac. "I paid off the debt and I think I realized a good tournament, but now it's time to give up. I did not ask any money to the Country nor to the Federation, but now for me it's ended."

Tournament President, Bogdan Enoiu, added that "when we built center court, Americans sent the first man on the Moon. Now they are preparing to send the first man to Mars. And, we had to play our tournament in the parking lot because they could not do anything on the center court. Authorities have to be embarassed."

The Budapest event is planned to take place on Clay in April 2017 and 2018. The ATP tour are yet to confirm the scheduling for the tournament in the 2017 calendar.