articleimg-1
Mar 30, 2020

Coronavirus Update: Hungary is prepared to join the European Commission’s RescEU program

In an effort to support the fight against the coronavirus, the EC has decided to establish a strategic stockpile of medical equipment. Member states that choose to store the RescEU stockpile may ask for support from the EC.

The Catastrophe Protection Directorate of the Interior Ministry announced on Sunday that Hungary is prepared to join the European Commission’s RescEU program, an element of the Union Civil Protection Mechanism which shores up emergency response capabilities.

In an effort to support the fight against the coronavirus, the EC has decided to establish a strategic stockpile of medical equipment. Member states that choose to store the RescEU stockpile may ask for support from the EC.

The EC covers 90 percent of the cost of the stockpile and member states pay the remaining 10 percent.

Hungary’s government has weighed the matter in recent days and decided to actively participate in the RescEU program, setting up a storage facility and stockpiling medical equipment.

The government declared its intent to participate to the European Union on March 29.

A call center set up for advice on the coronavirus can be reached on +36-80-277-455 and +36-80-277-456 or by email koronavirus@bm.gov.hu