articleimg-1
May 07, 2020

Coronavirus Update: The Hungarian government will protect the people at all costs

During today’s Government Info press conference, Gergely Guylás, the Minister heading the Prime Minister’s Office, clarified the new movement restrictions and reported on the latest economic updates.

Guylás said today that the infection has slowed and the number of new confirmed cases is declining, but regional differences are still evident. “Restarting life can only take place on a strict schedule,” he said.

Clarifying the new rules on movement restrictions, the minister said Budapest and Pest County is not locked down, the government’s standpoint hasn’t changed and residents from the capital and Pest County can visit their properties on the countryside while following the protection measures issued by the government and municipalities.

Touching upon the economic measures, Gulyás recalled that in the first week since launching the Kurzarbeit system, 3,000 companies have so far claimed wage subsidies for 46,000 employees, adding that the government wants no one to be unemployed for more than three months. “The government will increase the number of public employees, the number of contracted military personnel, and state-supported retraining will begin,” he said.

In regard to tax releases, the minister said the government has already decided in on which sectors can benefit from tax exemptions and reductions. “So far, these measures have concerned those most affected by the coronavirus crisis,” he said.

Regarding the Hungarian GDP, Gulyás said that GDP growth forecasts differ widely and the government would undertake a greater recession in order to protect lives and protects people against the coronavirus at all costs.

A call center set up for advice on the coronavirus can be reached on +36-80-277-455 and +36-80-277-456 or by email koronavirus@bm.gov.hu