articleimg-1
Jun 30, 2016

Hungary sends its condolences to victims of terror attack in Turkey

The Hungarian government has ordered an extraordinary review of the Liszt Ferenc Airport’s security protocols in light of the Turkish attack

Hungary has extended its condolences to the families of the innocent victims of the terroist attack in Turkey, it has been announced.

Hungarian Parliamentary Speaker László Kövér sent a telegram to his counterpart, Ismail Kahraman, extending the solidarity of the Hungarian people to the victims, the “heroic Turkish policeman” and wishes a swift recovery to those who were injured.

Hungary condemns all forms of terrorism as intolerable and will continue to stand by Turkey in the fight against terrorism, Kövér added.

The attack on Ataturk Airport killed 41 people and injured another 239.

Information received from Istanbul authorities indicates that no Hungarians were killed or injured, Péter Szijjártó, minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, has said.

The minister said that so far 76 Hungarian citizens have requested consular protection at Hungary’s consulate general in Istanbul. The consulate general has successfully made contact with 75 of them and all of them are fine.

Szijjártó said the foreign ministry will leave its security rating for Turkey unchanged and keep it in the category of countries with higher security risk.

Szijjártó said that for the sake of security it is imperative that Europe avoid another situation that sees tens of thousands of undocumented individuals arriving in the continent on a daily basis.

The Hungarian government has ordered an extraordinary review of the Liszt Ferenc Airport’s security protocols in order to reassure passengers of the airport’s security standards.

The airport’s last security review was conducted in 2013 by the European Union in which its security standards were deemed excellent, he said.