Syrian charged with attacking military guard at Röszke border point
Csongrád County’s prosecution office said the man is charged with carrying out a violent armed attack against a person on public duty
A Syrian suspect has been charged with assaulting a military guard at the Röszke border point, it has been revealed.
Ferenc Szanka from the Csongrád County’s prosecution office said the man is charged with carrying out a violent armed attack against a person on public duty.
According to the charge document, the accused attempted to cross the border in the vicinity of Röszke from Hungary into Serbia on October 13. The suspect was legally in the European Union, having already been registered as a refugee in Germany.
The victim of the attack, a female military guard, had been patrolling the border with her colleagues when she fell a few metres behind. The accused then appeared and allegedly attacked the guard with a sharpened wooden stake. The other guards then intervened to stop the man from continuing the attack, according to the prosecutor.
The Syrian suspect is currently in police custody while proceedings continue.