articleimg-1
Oct 14, 2020

WHO satisfied with Hungary's handling of coronavirus

Péter Szijjártó said it is clear that the second wave of the pandemic will be different, posing far greater challenges than the first.

 

The foreign minister said it is clear that the World Health Organisation (WHO) appreciates the measures the Hungarian government has taken so far to combat the coronavirus pandemic and is satisfied with the way the country handled the first wave.

Following talks with WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in Geneva, Péter Szijjártó said it is clear that the second wave of the pandemic will be different, posing far greater challenges than the first.

Minister Szijjártó said what made the first wave difficult was that the world had been completely unprepared for a global pandemic, adding, however, that the world’s healthcare systems have now had time to prepare for the next wave.

The minister said WHO has expressed satisfaction with Hungary’s purchase of the necessary protective equipment. He said WHO was also clearly aware of the disagreement being voiced by Hungary’s opposition parties regarding the procurement of protective gear. The organization believes it is better for a country to over-stock on protective equipment than for people to die due to their shortage, he said.

“The Hungarian healthcare system is prepared [to deal with the pandemic] and the WHO recognizes this,” the minister said. 

Regarding his talks with WHO leaders, the minister said both sides agreed that Hungary should only impose another lockdown “as a last resort”. WHO’s guidelines and the opinions expressed by the Hungarian people in the latest National Consultation survey both make it clear that the country must function, he added.