János Bóka, EU affairs minister, said the European Parliament "is attacking Hungary yet again".
"Legislative changes and their impact on fundamental rights" in Hungary will be on the EP agenda on Wednesday, Bóka noted in a statement, adding that no one from the Hungarian government had been invited to attend the debate. Further, the Polish EU presidency, which addressed the debate, had failed to consult the government in advance, he added.
Bóka said he sent a letter to his Polish counterpart today, asking why it was exactly that Hungary "is being attacked".
He said the government protected the foremost interests of children, safeguarded the country's national sovereignty against foreign interference, while also insisting on the transparency of NGO financing.
"We need to talk about this candidly: who's on the side of children, national sovereignty and transparency? Everything else is just a political circus," the statement said.