Péter Szijjártó, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, said Brussels not starting accession talks with North Macedonia is “unfair” because the country has introduced all the required measures.
Speaking in Skopje on Monday, the foreign minister said, at a joint press conference with North Macedonian counterpart Bujar Osmani, that the “Western Balkans was once again deceived” at a European Union ministerial meeting last week because accession talks could still not start despite a decision made a year and a half ago. “We consider the situation damaging, dangerous and contrary to EU interests both in terms of security and economic interests,” he added. At a time when the EU is facing historic challenges, the bloc needs “some success, some positive development”, and enlargement would give such an opportunity, he said. “We respectfully ask Bulgaria to enforce their justified national interests during the accession process rather than block the process,” he added. Minister Szijjártó said North Macedonia was on the Western Balkans migration route and therefore played a key role in stopping illegal migration. He also announced that a contingent of 30 Hungarian police will arrive in North Macedonia next month to help in the protection of the country’s southern borders.
Photo credit: Facebook/Szijjártó Péter