Defense Minister Kristóf Szalay-Bobrovniczky said the security of the country and of the Hungarian people is “a priority above all others” in wartime.
In a video message posted on Facebook on Saturday, Minister Szalay-Bobrovniczky said he had been tasked with ensuring the security of the Hungarian people, stepping up the country’s defense capability and strengthening the Hungarian armed forces. “The government is providing all material support to achieve those endeavors,” he added. He noted that 842 billion forints (EUR 2.3bn) had been earmarked for the Defense Fund in this year’s budget and 1,310 billion forints would be allocated for the fund in next year’s budget. Defense capabilities are on the increase, new weapons systems are arriving and being put into commission, and soldiers are being trained to use them, he added. Hungary’s defense spending is set to exceed Hungary’s NATO commitment of 2% of GDP next year as well, he said. Minister Szalay-Bobrovniczky expressed hope for a ceasefire and the start of peace talks as soon as possible, but also said that “peace requires strength”.