Péter Szijjártó, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, has said that Hungary strongly condemns the terrorist attack carried out against Israel.
“Hungary condemns this brutal terrorist attack in the strongest of terms, acknowledges Israel’s right to self-defense and expresses the country’s sincerest condolences to the Israeli government and the Israeli people for their losses,” Minister Szijjártó said in a Facebook post on Saturday. He said that the Hungarian embassy staff in Tel Aviv were safe and diplomatic staff were reaching out to Hungarian nationals registered for consular protection in Israel. In a later post, Minister Szijjártó said contact had been established with Hungarians staying in the Gaza Strip. They are well, given the circumstances, and plan on leaving the area depending on developments, he said. Minister Szijjártó later said he had spoken with his Israeli counterpart, Eli Cohen, by phone. “I expressed our sympathy for the victims who have died and ensured my colleague that Hungary stands by Israel in these difficult hours.” He expressed hope that an escalation of the situation could be avoided and warned that a wave of violence in the Middle East could have “drastic consequences” for global security.