The Hungarian government has extended its state of emergency due to mass immigration by six months until March 7, Government Spokesperson Zoltán Kovács has announced.
Kovács said that during last week’s cabinet meeting, Sándor Pintér, minister of Interior, had recommended that the state of emergency, which was due to expire September 7, should be extended.
“During the summer it was proven that the threat of terrorism in Europe has increased as a result of mass immigration, and accordingly strict border controls continue to be necessary in the interests of the security of the Hungarian people," Kovács said.
The spokesperson also said the Cabinet had reviewed recent developments in the proceedings launched by the European Commission with relation to the rule of law in Poland, and determined that Poland is a victim of double standards.
“The Hungarian government is critical of the European Commission’s decision, because it has been proven clearly that in practice the member states of the European Union are not judged according to equal terms," he said.
“The Government of Hungary rejects the application of double standards on principle, and calls on the Commission to be the protector of the treaties in accordance with its mandate, and stop dealing with political issues," he concluded.