Hungary has “good chances” in the struggle against the EU’s mandatory migrant quotas, the minister heading the Prime Minister’s Office has said.
Minister Gulyás said the European Commission’s official proposal continues to feature a mandatory mechanism without an upper limit, but they believe that the chances are good in this struggle. The decision on the quotas can be deferred or can even be changed.
He said migration will be one of the priority topics of the meeting of the European Council scheduled for June 28 and 29, and in this respect there was an important development last week when the proposal of the Bulgarian Presidency was discussed in the Council meeting of home ministers.
He underlined the fact that at this point in time, 16 Member States do not support this draft, while five Member States indicated their unconditional support for the proposal.
He added that it is to be hoped that the Bulgarian Presidency’s proposal regarding the mandatory quotas will not be pushed through at the upcoming summit of EU heads of state and government.
The minister highlighted how the balance has shifted in the direction of the position of the Hungarian government – due to political changes and changes of government, among others – and today we have incomparably more allies on the issue than we had a few years or even a few months ago.
He indicated that the Venice Commission will decide on the Stop Soros legislative package next week, and according to the usual practice the draft of the Commission’s recommendations will be disclosed a few days earlier. Parliament will then be able to decide in light of those recommendations, he concluded.